Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Wicked Wednesday - if _______ were a paranormal romance


I'm often asked what makes a story a paranormal romance. First, the focus is the romance. It must be central to the plot. It must also contain some sort of supernatural element.

So let's play a little game! Take your favorite movie and twist it so it becomes a paranormal romance.

Wizard of Oz - Dorothy falls in love with the scarecrow and returns to Oz to be with her true love.

The Big Lebowski - The Dude and his buddies take out the Nihilists who are really vampires. Maude is a goddess who makes the Dude her consort, and the magic rug ties the room together in more ways than one.

Clerks - Dante and Randal are zombies working at a convenience store. Dante is going through a rough patch with his zombie girlfriend, Veronica.
"She ate 37 brains!" Dante moans.
"In a row?" Randal inquires.

Go on. Give it a try!

12 comments:

Weekend-Windup said...

Seeing the story in different way!

Shah Wharton said...

Ha, ha. Superb! Loved the dialogue too.

What about if the other way around?

Twilight is NOT paranormal, but still a romance. Edward would be arrested for stalking and Bella would need counselling to deal with her co-dependance issues. :P

Tara Tyler R said...

oh, twisted!

how about Grown Ups - each of the guys' families is a different monster variety and one of the sons is in love with one of the daughters of a different species, like a vampire and a werewolf - wait that would be Hotel Transylvania

ha ha haha!

Melissa said...

How fun!

Wish my twisted plotting brain would wake up. (Coffee hasn't reached it yet. :P)

Crystal Collier said...

LOL. We totally do this--my hubby and I. I know it's not new, but several years ago we figured out that Snow White is actually a vampire who's encased in glass to keep her from killing anyone...until some stupid guy opens her coffin and offers his neck. =)

Southpaw said...

Nice new plots!

Southpaw said...

Nice new plots!

Christine Rains said...

Thanks, guys! This is fun. I also like making something non-PNR. Most of the movies I tried to think of for this post turned out to already be PNR. *LOL*

Tyrean Martinson said...

LOL - so funny!!! And, now it has me thinking of different plot variations. What if . . .

Al Diaz said...

From your explanation, I guess what I was writing last was a paranormal romance. I'm thinking on my favorite movie Kung Fu Panda but just to think on making it a PR makes me laugh. Dragon Hugs!

Cherie Reich said...

If Jurassic Park were a paranormal romance... Yes, I think we UR people could have a field day with that one. ;)

Loni Townsend said...

I could imagine the cast of RED killing zombies, or maybe Watson being a demon sidekick to Sherlock? I tend to fail in the romance department though. :(