You're up before dawn on a Saturday when the doorbell rings. You haven't brewed your coffee so you wonder if you imagined the sound. Plonking the half-filled carafe in the sink, you go to the front door and cautiously swing it open. No one there. As you cast your eyes to the ground, you see a parcel addressed to you ... from you.
You scoop it up and haul it inside, sensing something legitimate despite the extreme oddness of the situation. Carefully, you pry it open. Inside is a shoebox -- sent from ten years in the future -- and it's filled with items you have sent yourself.
What's in it?
I'd like to say I sent myself a newspaper so I know which stocks to buy, but I'd probably be more sentimental and just send one thing.
It would be a photo of my son so I could see what a fine boy he's grown to be. It would give me some hope I'm doing something right as a parent. It's the hardest thing I've ever done, but the most rewarding. I know I'm one of the most important influences in his entire life, and I hope I will be one of the best too.
I wouldn't want to see anything else from the future. I want it to be a surprise.
Visit the other participants and find out what they sent themselves!
The second great bloghop is such a fun idea. The wonderful Kyra Lennon and Clare Dugmore would like to know your "List of Joy." These are small, sometimes unusual things that always cheer you up. Not life-changing moments, but little things that make you smile. Love it!
My List of Joy:
1) Walking down an aisle in the library just to touch and smell the books.
2) Jumping around corners and scaring people. I don't do it so often any more, but I love seeing people's expressions!
3) Interpreting the conversations between the birds and squirrels outside. They say the funniest things!
4) When my son dances. You can't help but smile when you see little kids dance.
5) Watching how different people use their tongues while eating ice cream cones. Do it one day. You'll see what I mean!
Go find some more smiles and laughter as you read the lists of other participants!