Here are some romantic gestures that you commonly see in romances that would creep out any sane person in real life:
- Extreme possessiveness. Typical alpha male behavior. Even the women sometimes have this too. If even another person looks at their lover in any other than a neutral manner, they'll get into arguments and physical fights. Not a turn on at all.
- Stalking your love interest and admitting to it. Some characters find this romantic. Stalker is the new sexy? I'd freak out if I knew someone was watching me as I slept!
- Doing something potentially lethal to convince someone to go on a date. If I take out that whole nest of vampires, you have to go on a dinner date with me. Or I'll throw myself off a cliff if you don't go out with me. That says a lot about the person right there. Nope, not romantic.
- Public confessions of love. You can't get your love interest alone, so you shout it out in front of his pack or school or family, sometimes at a wedding. Their wedding. Maybe there's a reason the person doesn't want to be alone with you.
- Continuing to try to assert yourself in your love interest's life after she has said she's not interested and doesn't want to see you again. Are you thinking she's confused? And if she is, let her contact you later on if she changes her mind. Respect her. Don't be creepy and show up to her work with flowers or serenade her on the street.
Are you guilty of being more forgiving with fictional characters? Have you experienced a grand romantic gesture that was really just creepy?