Wednesday, August 22, 2012
Wicked Wednesday - finding an agent
Here are some tips to help you attract an agent:
1) Know your genre. With paranormal romance, you're going to need to focus on the romance and have a Happily Ever After ending. Try to stay away from vampires and werewolves. Some agents stop reading a query the second they see either of those words.
2) Have some knowledge of the industry. Agents will look at your website, blog, and Twitter account. Have you been networking? Have you joined writers' groups? How much time have you invested in your writing and yourself?
3) Be professional. Always be polite even when rejected. Conduct yourself as such everywhere. Learn from your rejections and grow as a writer.
4) When writing your query, make sure your genre is clear through your blurb itself. Of course, you'll say it's a paranormal romance when describing your book, but reading the blurb alone should say it too. Make sure it focuses on the romance with both external and internal conflicts.
5) Be original. Even if your story is a traditional Romeo and Juliet type, emphasize what makes yours different. Don't be afraid to go over the top. And if you're able, use a bit of humor. Usually if you can make someone laugh, you've got them hooked.
Karen Fox has an excellent updated list of agents seeking paranormal romances. Always make sure to research the agent you're sending your query to before you send them anything.
Do you have any tips on how a paranormal romance writer can stand out in the crowd?