I've been doing a lot of cleaning and organizing these past few weeks. Online and offline. One of my projects this year will be to design a new website. A big deal since I have no web design experience, and I can't afford to have anyone else do it for me.
My current website is okay. I do like the template. (It was free!) But does it represent me as an author and my books? No.
My website wishlist: easy to navigate, easy to update, wicked, dark, and sexy.
So I've been doing some research and visiting a lot of paranormal romance author sites. Here's what I've found a PNR author needs on the home page of her site.
1) The color red. Dangerous and passionate. Most sites have a lot of red. The unofficial color of PNR authors? (E.g. Kresley Cole and Jennifer Lyon.)
2) A kick-butt heroine featured in the heading or background. (One of my favorite sites based on appearance and ease of use: Keri Arthur.) OR a hot guy (human or not) in the heading or background. (E.g. Larissa Ione.)
3) A quirky, sexy, or magical welcome to the site. Something a little different than the standard news scroll or "Buy my books!" (E.g. Alyssa Day.)
4) Book covers. Some covers are gorgeous, and I can see why authors make them the feature attraction. (E.g. Rachel Vincent and Sherrilyn Kenyon.)
5) A background to set the right atmosphere. Dark and mysterious. (E.g. Jennifer Estep.)
Do you have a website? If you do, did you have it designed to fit your genre?